- The association
Meubléco is a project of the association Unipoly which promotes ecology and sustainable development on the Unil-EPFL campus. It was launched in autumn 2020 with the aim of promoting recycling of pieces furniture. It won a grant from Act4change Lab for its launch.
Environmental impact :
- The project addresses the problem of overconsumption and waste of the wood industry which is space intensive and energy-using. A study of the magazine Pacific Standard reveals that the Nordic firm Ikea consumes 16.27 million cubic meters of wood each year, i.e. 1% of the world's wood reserves to make its products.
- Campus Market, a project similar to ours, was created in Lille, France, following the observation of more than 170 "an uncontrolled furniture dumping sites" in one week.
- Campus Market estimates 80 kg of CO2 emission avoided per m3 of furniture reused.
Social impact :
- We think it is important to show the public that changing habits and the necessary skills are easily achievable. These changes make it possible to make a move in the direction of the circular rather than linear economy.
- We are targeting a wider audience, not necessarily attentive to sustainability issues, in order to raise awareness of environmental issues. We want to create a more informed and responsible community.
- Through our membership in Unipoly and our interdisciplinary team, we want to energize and strengthen the collaborations between Unil and EPFL.
Economic impact :
- We want to make second hand furniture accessible to student budgets by selling it at low prices and offering a delivery service.
- We also want to value the donation of second-hand furniture by students by giving them financial compensation for each donation.
2. Functionning of Meubléco
Meubléco offers you to sell and buy second-hand furniture at low prices for the Unil-EPFL community. We are present on Wednesdays from 4pm to 7pm at the Vortex, as part of the Wednesdays of Unipoly. You can come to buy and sell furniture on these occasions. Twice a year, at the beginning of the semesters, we organize a Furniture Fair for Marchéco, where a thrift shop, food, musical entertainment, as well as many other stands are traditionally present! These furniture fairs are preceded by collections. For big furniture, combined deliveries can be arranged.
3. The furniture fair
The next furniture fair will take on Monday 6th March at EPFL (salle polyvalente CE),for the Sustainibility Week. This will be an opportunity to come and buy the furniture you need for your new home or to fit up your current home. You will also find many other stands such as the UP Fashion Lab thrift store. We look forward to seeing you there !
Which furniture to sell at Meubléco ?
We do not take non-assembled pieces of furniture. We don’t take bed bases and mattresses. If a piece of furniture is too big for our van, we won’t be able to transport.
Accepted furnitures: table, chair, dresser, wardrobe, shelf, desk, sofa, shoes cabinet, storage rack, coat rack, drying rack, mirror, ...
Looking for a piece of furniture?
You can come and see our available furniture on Wednesdays between 4pm and 7pm at the Vortex. If you are looking for a particular piece of furniture, you can contact us via to ask us if we have any in stock. Finally, during the Furniture's Fairs, we usually have a particularly varied range of furniture, so that you can find your happiness!
Are you selling a piece of furniture?
To sell a piece of furniture, you must first create an account. Then you can put your furniture on the platform by filling out the form under the tab "Submit your furniture". The selling price is determined by us, based on a price grid that we have set according to the type of furniture and its size. After verification of the ad, your furniture is put online on the platform. When a buyer is interested, he can reserve your furniture. He can then either come and pick up the furniture at your place and pay you directly, or use our delivery service. In this case, we will come and pick up the furniture at your place, and we will pay you in cash upon our arrival.
- For other types of furniture, we estimate prices based on the size and type of furniture:
- Small (< 50 x 50 x 50 cm) : 5.-
- Medium (< 100 x 100 x 100 cm) : 10 to 15.-
- Big : 15 to 20.-
- We don't accept disassembled furniture, mattresses or box springs.
- Maximum accepted furniture dimensions : 200cm x 100cm x 100cm
- If the furniture is in poor condition, or if we feel that the furniture will not be useful to a student we reserve the right not to buy it back.